-   -   Layered charts (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/137430-layered-charts.html)

smaruzzi

Layered charts

I have to create a chart representing population data: males & females. in
addition to these two columns, I would like to add the sum of the two.
Graphically it would be great to represent the third column (the total
population) behind the two M & F columns, providing visually an indication
that it is the sum of the two.

I've seen something like this in a recent PPT created with Office 2007
(charts from Excel 2007, the version I'm currently using). Is there a smart
way to obtain this result?

Thanks, Stefano

Bernard Liengme

Layered charts

Why not make a tornado chart -
see http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html
The overall population is clearly represented by the combined length of the
left and right columns
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"smaruzzi" wrote in message
I have to create a chart representing population data: males & females. in
addition to these two columns, I would like to add the sum of the two.
Graphically it would be great to represent the third column (the total
population) behind the two M & F columns, providing visually an indication
that it is the sum of the two.

I've seen something like this in a recent PPT created with Office 2007
(charts from Excel 2007, the version I'm currently using). Is there a
smart
way to obtain this result?

Thanks, Stefano

Jon Peltier

Layered charts

The problem with a tornado chart, is that it's hard to directly compare the
bars to the left and right of the center line. I would prefer to create a
dot chart with three series: Male, Female, and Total.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP