Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Chart a time series

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times...

How do I chart a time series (a series of dates with a value associated with
each date)? The dates are not evenly spaced, and I would like the axis to be
labeled with each actual date, rather than a series of evenly spaced dates
not associated with the data?

I've created a chart that does what I want, but the X axis shows a series of
evenly spaced dates, not the actual dates for each data point. Under Chart
Options / Axes / Value (X) Axis, I see Automatic/Category/Time Scale radio
buttons. I suspect Time Scale might be what I want, but the radio buttons
are grayed out.

Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Eric said:

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times...

How do I chart a time series (a series of dates with a value associated with
each date)? The dates are not evenly spaced, and I would like the axis to be
labeled with each actual date, rather than a series of evenly spaced dates
not associated with the data?

I've created a chart that does what I want, but the X axis shows a series of
evenly spaced dates, not the actual dates for each data point. Under Chart
Options / Axes / Value (X) Axis, I see Automatic/Category/Time Scale radio
buttons. I suspect Time Scale might be what I want, but the radio buttons
are grayed out.

If Timescale is greyed out, you may have chosen a scatter graph type
instead of line graph or similar. Try switching to the line graph type
to make the timescale axis type available. However, the timescale axis
also displays evenly-spaced dates, so that doesn't really get you what
you want.

I suggest instead that you create a special data series with nothing but
zeroes (or wherever you want the axis to be). Display that data series,
then choose Data Labels.. Show label. Then format the labels so they
are Alignment.. Label Position Below. Then format the axis as
Patterns.. Tick Mark Labels=None to take away the original,
evenly-spaced labels. This may move the axis automatically down to the
bottom of the chart area and force your special labels up into the chart
where you don't want them. If so, manually make a space under the graph
by dragging the bottom of the Plot area upwards, so they have room to
appear underneath as intended.

Finally format the dummy data series itself as Patterns.. Line=None and
Patterns.. Marker=None, because you don't want it to show, it's only a
dummy series for positioning your custom labels.

Because you only want to show the dates, there's no need to use any
further tricks, but this is the key to much more varied custom axes than
Excel normally provides. Sometimes you have to have a product like Rob
Bovey's Chart Labeller Add-in to make use of the extra opportunities.
Not this time, though :-)

--
Del Cotter