cpopham

Default Scatter chart parabola

I am attempting to use Excel for my BA class. I have a quadratic
function which gives me a parabola. However, when I try to graph it in
excel instead of the parabola opening up or down it opens sideways. The
points are correct, the connecting lines are what is not correct. How
can I fix this so that the parabola will go through the points the
correct way and open downward instead of sideways?

my points are as follows
x y
9 387
0 144
-6 0
24 0

Thanks, Chester

--
cpopham
cpopham's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20012

John Mansfield

Chester,

Rearrange your points on your XY scatter chart as follows:

x y
-6 0
0 144
9 387
24 0

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"cpopham" wrote:

I am attempting to use Excel for my BA class. I have a quadratic
function which gives me a parabola. However, when I try to graph it in
excel instead of the parabola opening up or down it opens sideways. The
points are correct, the connecting lines are what is not correct. How
can I fix this so that the parabola will go through the points the
correct way and open downward instead of sideways?

my points are as follows
x y
9 387
0 144
-6 0
24 0

Thanks, Chester

--
cpopham
cpopham's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20012
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=345986

cpopham

Thank you for the help. I thought that Excel would be able to determine
which way the parabola would go according to my formula.

Chester

--
cpopham
cpopham's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20012
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=345986

Jon Peltier

Chester -

Excel is not capable of doing what you want it to do, only what you tell
it to do. The points are plotted in the order they appear in the table.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services