Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Combine non-matching dates in single chart

I want to create a chart that represents the development of two
different interest rates. The problem is that the dates associated
with the values of the two variables are not matching each other
exactly. I have hereunder included an example of the data ranges that
I would like to put in one combined chart.

Interest A Interest B
12/17/2006 4.3 12/17/2006 4.8
12/16/2006 4.2 12/16/2006 4.8
12/15/2006 4.2 12/13/2006 4.5
12/14/2006 4.3 12/12/2006 4.4
12/13/2006 4.2
12/11/2006 4.1

You can see that what I want to put on the X-axis are both dates, but
the rates are not measured on the same days. For interest A for
example it is only weekdays, for interest B also Saturdays included,
and some dates are missing in my data set.

I think there must be a way to avoid making any manual changes to put
matching dates next to each other.

Hopefully my explanation of the problem is clear and someone is able
to help me

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Use an XY chart, and make sure that you've got the appropriate set of data
in the X-axis values for each series.

The easiest way is probably to select your Interest A series data (both
columns), Insert Chart, set options appropriately, then select the data
(both columns) for your Interest B series, copy, click on the chart, Edit,
Paste Special, as new series, select categories (X values) in first column.
--
David Biddulph

"daan1903" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

A slight modification, which works on all versions of Excel since at least
97, but not on 2007.

Make a line chart with the first series, which gives you the time scale axis
which has more formatting capabilities than an XY chart's X value axis. Add
the second series using the technique that David suggests. Select this added
series, and on the Chart menu, choose Chart Type and change this series to
an XY type. If necessary, double click the new XY series, and on the Axis
tab, choose Primary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
Use an XY chart, and make sure that you've got the appropriate set of data
in the X-axis values for each series.

The easiest way is probably to select your Interest A series data (both
columns), Insert Chart, set options appropriately, then select the data
(both columns) for your Interest B series, copy, click on the chart, Edit,
Paste Special, as new series, select categories (X values) in first
column.
--
David Biddulph

s.com...