Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
hmm hmm is offline

Default Reinstitute series name as title

Excel 2000 has the convenient feature that the title of a single-series chart
is set to the name of the series. A couple questions:

1. Sometimes this title gets deleted. In such a case, how do I reinstitute
that the title should be the same as the series name.

2. When I add a trendline, the title becomes "Chart Title." How do I reset
it to equal the series name?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Click on the chart title on the chart
In the Formula bar type an equals sign: =
Then click on (i.e. point at) the cell containing the name required (In your
case the header of the y-series) You will see something like =Sheet!$B$1
Press the Enter key or click the green checkmark to the left of the Formula
Bar to complete the operation.
Now when you add a tendline, the chart title is unaltered.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"hmm" wrote in message
Excel 2000 has the convenient feature that the title of a single-series
chart
is set to the name of the series. A couple questions:

1. Sometimes this title gets deleted. In such a case, how do I
reinstitute
that the title should be the same as the series name.

2. When I add a trendline, the title becomes "Chart Title." How do I
reset
it to equal the series name?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

That's a neat trick Bernard,

Why wont it accept the same formula if you attempt to put it
into the title tab under Chart options.

Regards
Martin

Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread but I think
this is pertinent to us both.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
hmm hmm is offline

Thanks Bernard.

With the solution proposed, every time the name of the data series changes
(i.e., to a different cell), I would have to repeat the procedure. I'm
looking for for the chart to automatically change title with different
series. This would allow me to create a chart template, each time simply
selecting only a data series (x values, y values, name) and having Excel
automatically apply the series name to the title.