Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Dynamic Data Import From Access

Hello,

I have tried a few different methods to try and generate charts on my data
set. The data set is dynamic but I'm sure it can be formatted to fit the
series of charts I want to generate.

I created an Access Database that pulls outstanding jobs data from our
Production Database System and imports it into Excel. Here is the format
it's being imported in as:

ColA ColB ColC ColD ColE ColF...etc
Year Week AReq AIss BReq BIss...etc
2006 51 2.7 1 23 10.5...
2007 2 5 3.1 9.3 8.9...

There are about 50-60 columns and the amount of rows are broken down by
weeks in the year. I had broken it down like this, but changed the format
because I thought it would be easier on generating a graph per row.

Old Format:

ColA ColB ColC ColD ColE
Year Week Machine Req Iss
2006 51 CNC1 2.7 1
2006 51 CNC2 23 10.5
2006 51 L1 8 6
2007 2 CNC1 5 3.1
2007 2 CNC2 9.3 8.9
2007 2 W1 25 15.7

This data can change daily. I would like to generate a chart per
spreadsheet for each week. Also would like to put the Machines along the
x-axis and hours along the y. I thought I could put both the required and
issued hours beside each other for each machine but not sure how to do that
with my newer format. I would like to force the data to update on the first
page and the charts to generate on additional spreadsheets (macro is run off
a button on my Database). Any help on this would be appreciated. Been
working at it for a few days now... and it's getting frustrating.

---Achilleas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Feb 19, 7:15 pm, Achilleas
wrote:
[...]

it's not entirely clear what you are after but based on your request
for 'machines on the x axis' i'd suggest you out your data back in the
old format. You can connect to your access data source using a pivot
table. You can then use this as the basis for your charts - colC
would be the x-asix, colD or colE would be the y-axis. You could even
use the same dataset in different pivot tables to have 2 types of
chart - one showing machine in a particular week and the other showing
a particular machine for a set period of weeks.

There is a wealth of info on pivot tables in this group and all over
the net. Get stuck in!

Rob