Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default show value as percentage in stacked bar graph

I work for the Court and I am trying to show the percentage of 2 types of
cases (CC and SP) to the total judicial caseload, in five different separate
locations, on one graph. I developed a stacked chart which shows the values
(number of cases) of each type (CC or SP) per location. I was also able to
also show the value only of the total number of cases (CC + SP) and keep the
original chart format without adding a third stack on top by entering a third
series as the total value, but making this series transparent and aligning
the total value at bottom of stacked series of CC & SP cases. NOW I want to
keep the total number of cases on top of the 2 stacked bars for # of CC and
SP cases, but need to show them as a percent of the total, not the actual
number. This would mean mixing values and percentage data labels, but I
thought I could do it using a 2Y axis and making it transparent.

Mr. Excel, or any other expert, are you out there? Help! As you know, the
percentage works on the pie graph, but I can't do grouping by the five court
locations in that format. How can I get it to work on the stacked bar graph,
and still keep the total on top as a value, not a percentage (which would
obviosly be 100%)? Will send file if that helps. Thanks, Lorah in Miami,
Florida State Courts System.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

First, it might be better to use a line series, with no markers or line,
plotting the total, and use this as the labels for the total.

Second, compute your percentages in the worksheet. Use one of these add-ins
to use the calculated percentages in the worksheet as data labels for the
stacked column series:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon