Old February 4th 07, 10:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Automatically update graphs

Hey Jon, Do you think you could help me out with the post I added under
Tushar? Thanks
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

What I said was, I start with a static chart with a series formula that
points to static ranges, then I edit the series formula so it points to the
dynamic named ranges.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ChrisG" wrote in message
I'll be honest, that confused me! I have been following the article I
mentioned before to a tee, but now I am confused as to what formula I
should
put in for the values box. Where do I put in the "'Raw
Data'ChartEuropeanEquity"? I want to create a dynamic chart, and with
=SERIES('My Sheet'!$B$1,'My Sheet'!$A$2:$A$18,'My Sheet'!$B$2:$B$18,1)
wouldn't that create a static sheet? Sorry I am so lost, I really
apprecitate your help
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Make sure the worksheet name and the defined name are correctly
referenced
in the formula. Sometimes what I do is create the chart with data from
the
worksheet on which the defined names reside, then change the addresses in
the chart formula to the defined names; this is relatively foolproof.
This
means change this:

=SERIES('My Sheet'!$B$1,'My Sheet'!$A$2:$A$18,'My Sheet'!$B$2:$B$18,1)

to this:

=SERIES('My Sheet'!$B$1,'My Sheet'!MyXValues,'My Sheet'!MyYValues,1)

When you hit Enter, Excel changes the sheet name to the workbook name if
the
names are defined for the workbook at large:

=SERIES('My Sheet'!$B$1,TestBook.xls!MyXValues,TestBook.xls!My YValues,1)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ChrisG" wrote in message
news Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart, when I enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides "FirmA") I
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference must be to
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong, and how can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"ChrisG" wrote in message
I have a worksheet full of raw data and other worksheets which are
just
charts based on the raw data. I continually add more data to the
raw
data
worksheet, and I was wondering if there is a way to change the
source
data
of
the chart so that it will automatically update if the raw data
changes.
clarify this, I will give an example. If on Monday I have 5 rows of
data
and
every day that week I add more rows, so that by friday I have 10
rows
of
data
(with the most recent data comprising the top row), can I have the
chart
automatically include all of the data? Thanks for your help

Old February 5th 07, 05:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hey Jon,
I tried copying your generic "values" box formula "=SERIES('My
Sheet'!$B$1,'My Sheet'!MyXValues,'My Sheet'!MyYValues,1)"
So I entered "=Series('Raw Data"!$B$1,'Raw
Data'!ChartDates,'RawData'!ChartEuropeanEquity,1)" however I am still told
there is an error in the formula. I know this must be frustrating for you,
but believe me, it is just as frustrating, if not more so for me! Thanks
again,
Chris

"ChrisG" wrote in message
news Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart, when I enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides "FirmA") I
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference must be to
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong, and how can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------

Old February 5th 07, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You have one single quote and one double quote around the first 'Raw Data',
and the third is spelled without a space.

- Jon
-------

"ChrisG" wrote in message
news Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart, when I
enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides "FirmA")
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference must be
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong, and how
can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------

Old February 7th 07, 07:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon, those mistakes were merely type-o's that I made re-entering it in this
window. I have entered "=Series('Raw Data'!$B$1,'Raw Data'!ChartDates,'Raw
Data'!ChartEuropeanEquity,1)" in the values box, and I have defined
ChartDates as
"=OFFSET(AllDates,MATCH(StartDate,AllDates,1)-1,0,MATCH(EndDate,AllDates,1)-MATCH(StartDate,AllDates,1)+1,1)"
and I have defined ChartEuropeanEquity as "=OFFSET(ChartDates,0,1)".
AllDates is defined as "='Raw Data'!$A$5:INDEX('Raw
Data'!$A:$A,MATCH(9.99999E+307,Data!$A:$A))" and Start and End dates are
defined as "='Raw Data'!$Q$2" and "='Raw Data'!$Q$3" respectively. My titles
of the different columns are in row 1 and my data does not begin until row 8.
I could really use your expertise in figuring out what is wrong. Thanks.

"ChrisG" wrote in message
news Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart, when I
enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides "FirmA")
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference must be
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong, and how
can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------

Old February 7th 07, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In the define names dialog, select one of these names, and click in the
Refers To box. Is the expected range highlighted?

- Jon
-------

"ChrisG" wrote in message
news Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By
Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart, when I
enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides
"FirmA")
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference must
be
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong, and
how
can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------

Old February 7th 07, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon, The "All Dates" is highlighted, however I noticed that because I
insert a row into row 8 every day, instead of reading "='Raw Data'!$A$8...."
it read ""='Raw Data'!$A$10...." is there any way to get it to stay on row 8
forever? The rest of the defined names (excluding Start and End Dates) did
not highlight any section of the worksheet. Hopefully this will give you
some idea what is going on!

"ChrisG" wrote in message
news Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By
Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart, when I
enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides
"FirmA")
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference must
be
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong, and
how
can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------

Old February 8th 07, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Start your offset from higher:

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$8,0,0)

is the same as

=OFFSET(Sheet!$A$1,7,0)

- Jon
-------

"ChrisG" wrote in message
news Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By
Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart,
when I
enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides
"FirmA")
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference
must
be
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong,
and
how
can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------

Old February 8th 07, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Is that for my "AllDates" problem or the
problem with my ChartDates and ChartEuropean Equity? None of my defined
names have a formula like that. See my above post to see exactly what I have
entered. I have followed your Dynamic Charting By Dates article (TechTrax
Article) exactly if that helps.

Chris

"ChrisG" wrote in message
news Thanks for your help Jon, I am using the "Dynamic Charting By
Dates
(TechTrax
Article)" However, when I am actuallty creating the chart,
when I
enter
"=Data!ChartFirmA" (except I have a different name besides
"FirmA")
get
an
error message that says "Reference is not valid. Reference
must
be
an
open worksheet." What does this mean, what did I do wrong,
and
how
can
correct it? Thanks for your help,
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------

Old February 9th 07, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

How is AllDates defined? This thread has gotten a bit long to follow.

- Jon
-------

"ChrisG" wrote in message
[...]

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts:

- Jon
-------

Old February 9th 07, 03:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

AllDates refers to "='Raw Data'!$A$9:INDEX('Raw
Data'!$A:$A,MATCH(9.99999E+307,'Raw Data'!$A:$A))" How should we do this so
that it is easier to follow?

"ChrisG" wrote in message
[...]

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

See Dynamic Charts: