Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default dual axes charts, 2 questions....

i am trying to chart 2 different sets of data:

1. average temperature for various cities in both celsius and fahrenheit.
PROBLEM: if i have celsius on the primary x axis and the fahrenheit on a
secondary x axis it gives me 2 columns. i want one column per city which will
give me the temp in celsius on the primary x axis and the corresponding
fahrenheit temperature on secondary y axis (conversion of celsius to
fahrenheit done with formula of celsius temp*9/5+32). can this be done?

2. i am charting rainfall in 5 cities over 12 months but the data range is
very wide. one of the cities has 10x more rain than 3 of the other cities.
this makes it almost impossible to read the chart. if i plot that city on a
secondary axis, when someone else looks at my chart, how can they know what
city corresponds to primary x axis values and what corresponds to secondary x
axis values? it is very confusing.

fern
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

1. It is hard to get the axes to line up correctly. You can instead just use
Celsius, and make a dummy axis for the Fahrenheit. See dummy axes:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...tml#AxisScales

Say the Celsius temperatures are 0°C to 50°C. That's 32°F and 132°F, not
convenient values for a scale. But 40°F to 130°F is good. Set up a data
range like this:

5.5 4.44°C 40°F
5.5 10.00°C 50°F
5.5 15.56°C 60°F
5.5 21.11°C 70°F
5.5 26.67°C 80°F
5.5 32.22°C 90°F
5.5 37.78°C 100°F
5.5 43.33°C 110°F
5.5 48.89°C 120°F

The first column is just a convenient number that comes out to the right
edge of the chart's X axis. The right hand column are the values in °F for
the tick marks, and the middle column is the corresponding °C values. To get
the '°C' and '°F' to appear, use custom number formats of 0°C and 0°F for
the cells; that's zero plus the degree sign plus the letter; to get the
degree sign, hold Alt while pressing 0176 on the numeric keypad. Add a
series to the chart using the first two columns. Change the added series to
an XY series (if it isn't already), and format it using black crosses, which
look somewhat like tick marks. Use one of these handy Excel utilities to add
the labels from the third column to the added series as data labels,
aligning them to the right of the chart:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

2. Does this technique help:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"chasida" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I know Jon has already given you the steps to align two axis but a worked
out example using Centigrade and Farenheit is at

Single Chart Dual Axis
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ch...0graph%20dual%
20axis.htm

As far as the other issue goes, you can use color and text to indicate which
series goes with which chart. For example, if you have only one series on
each axis, simply color the axis and the corresponding series the same
color. If you have multiple series on each axis, add a textbox that tells
the reader which series goes on which axis.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Unfortunately this requires a bit more maintenance. The two vertical axes
must be aligned, then kept in alignment if the data changes, whereas the
dummy axis can be made with points covering a broader range than at first
needed, and points outside the range will not appear. Also you are forced
(in most cases) to use irregular min or max to make it work (e.g., 32 and
92°F) instead of natural multiples of 5 or 10.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Tushar Mehta" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,

Each approach has its limitations. After all, each is working around
limitations in XL and nothing will be as good as having XL do the needful.
In the case of the dummy axis, the 3rd column labels don't update as the
data range expands. I've been burnt by *that* on more than one occasion.
In the case of using a secondary axis, it does need realignment. So, six of
one...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Half dozen of the other. I've been very successful with the dummy axis
approach. I will define a range pseudo-secondary Y axis values calculated by
formulas similar to those I use to determine optimum axis scale parameters
(min/max/major). I define more than I need, say 20 labels for an axis which
I think will use 12 or 15 labels, and the formulas return #N/A if they are
not needed. I temporarily put non-#N/A values in the 20 cells while I apply
20 labels (cell links, actually) to the 20 data points; Excel remembers the
data label links as long as they were defined one time. This becomes a
dynamic, self-contained, non-VBA approach to this issue. Obviously a full
discussion is light-years beyond a newsgroup thread, but I have gotten to
the point where I can set up one of these axes in 15 minutes, then forget
it.

- Jon
-------