Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default dual axes charts, 2 questions....

1. It is hard to get the axes to line up correctly. You can instead just use
Celsius, and make a dummy axis for the Fahrenheit. See dummy axes:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...tml#AxisScales

Say the Celsius temperatures are 0°C to 50°C. That's 32°F and 132°F, not
convenient values for a scale. But 40°F to 130°F is good. Set up a data
range like this:

5.5 4.44°C 40°F
5.5 10.00°C 50°F
5.5 15.56°C 60°F
5.5 21.11°C 70°F
5.5 26.67°C 80°F
5.5 32.22°C 90°F
5.5 37.78°C 100°F
5.5 43.33°C 110°F
5.5 48.89°C 120°F

The first column is just a convenient number that comes out to the right
edge of the chart's X axis. The right hand column are the values in °F for
the tick marks, and the middle column is the corresponding °C values. To get
the '°C' and '°F' to appear, use custom number formats of 0°C and 0°F for
the cells; that's zero plus the degree sign plus the letter; to get the
degree sign, hold Alt while pressing 0176 on the numeric keypad. Add a
series to the chart using the first two columns. Change the added series to
an XY series (if it isn't already), and format it using black crosses, which
look somewhat like tick marks. Use one of these handy Excel utilities to add
the labels from the third column to the added series as data labels,
aligning them to the right of the chart:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

2. Does this technique help:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"chasida" wrote in message
i am trying to chart 2 different sets of data:

1. average temperature for various cities in both celsius and fahrenheit.
PROBLEM: if i have celsius on the primary x axis and the fahrenheit on a
secondary x axis it gives me 2 columns. i want one column per city which
will
give me the temp in celsius on the primary x axis and the corresponding
fahrenheit temperature on secondary y axis (conversion of celsius to
fahrenheit done with formula of celsius temp*9/5+32). can this be done?

2. i am charting rainfall in 5 cities over 12 months but the data range is
very wide. one of the cities has 10x more rain than 3 of the other cities.
this makes it almost impossible to read the chart. if i plot that city on
secondary axis, when someone else looks at my chart, how can they know
what
city corresponds to primary x axis values and what corresponds to
secondary x
axis values? it is very confusing.

fern