Chris

Default Excel chart in Powerpoint

Hi,

I am making a chart in Powerpoint using the Customs Types- Floating Bars
Chart. I have 2 series of data. They are prices. What happens right now is
the bar starts at the low number and then goes the length of the second
number. So for example, if I had 100 and 150. The bar would start at 100
and go to 250. But what I want is a bar that starts at 100 and goes to 150.
Not summing the data, but just going the extra length of the second number -
first number.

Thanks so much!

Chris

Jon Peltier

Chris -

When you make a floating chart like this, you need two series. One has the value of
the bottoms of all the bars, the other has the difference of the tops minus the
bottoms. When they are stacked, the first series comes to the bottoms of all the
bars, and the other series stretches from the bottoms to the tops. You must then
format the bottom series to be invisible (no border, no fill).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Chris wrote:

Hi,

I am making a chart in Powerpoint using the Customs Types- Floating Bars
Chart. I have 2 series of data. They are prices. What happens right now is
the bar starts at the low number and then goes the length of the second
number. So for example, if I had 100 and 150. The bar would start at 100
and go to 250. But what I want is a bar that starts at 100 and goes to 150.
Not summing the data, but just going the extra length of the second number -
first number.

Thanks so much!

Chris

Andy Pope

Hi Chris,

You have a couple of options.
Adjust your second value. Unfortunately if you are using MS Graph to do
this the data sheet doesn't allow functions such as you could use in
excel so you will have to do the calculation manually.

The other alternative is to use another one of the bar sub types.
If you use the 2d cluster.
Format both bars to have no border and for the data series with the 100
value set the area pattern to be the same as the plot area.
The make the 100 value data series use the secondary axis. Delete the
secondary X axis and now the lower value bar should mask the larger
values bottom part.

Cheers
Andy

--