Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
JRD JRD is offline

Default Bar chart x axis labelling

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have two labels on the x axis of a
bart chart. For example if I have 6 bars in 2 groups of three can I label the
groups 1 and 2 and the individual bars i, ii, iii, iv, v, and vi. I know one
can do this by having a legend, but I want to have all the labels below the X
axis in line with the relevent bar.

MAny thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can fake it. Rearrange your data as shown, where [x] indicates data, and
make a stacked column chart (view in non-proportional font).

Grp1 Grp2
i [x]
ii [x]
iii [x]
iv [x]
v [x]
vi [x]

This produces uniformly spaced columns. To get a column to touch adjacent
columns, double click on one column, and on the Options tab, change Gap
Width to zero.

The data arrangement above does not provide for a second row of category
axis labels. To get these, insert a column.

Grp1 Grp2
A i [x]
ii [x]
B iii [x]
iv [x]
C v [x]
vi [x]

The A-B-C labels will be centered below each pair of i-ii, iii-iv, v-vi
labels.

To get a space between groups A, B, and C, you need to insert rows, and put
a space, [s], in the first cell of each inserted row:

Grp1 Grp2
i [x]
ii [x]
[s]