Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Formatting charts

I'm using Office XP and have inherited a spreadsheet from someone who
departed my organization. I cannot figure out what he has done (I'm mostly
an Access developer), so am trying to start over and duplicate his results.

I'm having difficulty formatting (actually defining) a chart so that I don't
have to redefine the data ranges every time my data gets updated. I would
use a pivot chart, but have not figured out a way to get the legend to float
over the graph like in normal charting.

My data looks something like the following, and is linked to an Access
query. The types of mission and the number of days will vary depending on
several factors, so I don't want to have to reformat the data ranges every
time I requery the Access query. What I want to do is create a stacked bar
chart, where the Mission categories are the labels, the Days are displayed on
the X-Axis, and the CountOfSorties values are stacked in the chart.

Mission Day CountOfSorties
A 1 3
A 2 5
A 3 7
B 1 10
B 2 5
B 3 4
C 1 12
C 2 8
C 3 9

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Email address is not valid.
Please reply to newsgroup only.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You could do one of two things...

1. Create a dynamic chart
a. This is a little difficult to design, but it is a no brainer once it
is all in place. You can research the web on how to do this if this is a
method you might prefer.Here is one link for this method:
http://www.bmsltd.ie/Excel/SBXLPage.asp (and look for the FunChrt1)
2. Utilize the pivot table and pivot chart features inherit in MS Excel
a. Each time you update your data (as long as the information is
contiguous), you can go to your pivot table and refresh it.
b. Then you can recreate a pivot chart from this table. It may seem
repetative, but it is rather quick in comparison to other methods.

"Dale Fye" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Mark,

I've tried the Pivot Chart technique, and I like it, except I cannot seem to
get the legend box to float (so I can place it anywhere I want), like I can
with a regular chart. Is there a way to do this?

Dale

"Dale Fye" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Mark,

That only gives me 5 options. I want to be able to drag the legend
whereever I want to on the chart, most likely inside the boundries of the
graph. But I will keep it in mind as an option. I think I am closing in on
how to programmatically (VBA) define the chart series.

Dale

"Dale Fye" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Pivot charts in Excel 2000-2003 are not very flexible.There are a lot of
things you might want to do, and in fact can do with a regular chart, but a
pivot chart doesn't allow. You can make a regular chart from pivot chart
data:

Pivot charts have received a facelift in Excel 2007, and have gained
features that earlier ones lacked. I'm not yet familiar enough with them to
comment.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP