Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Place comment on chart

I have a chart with several years of data on it. I have placed a comment on
the worksheet and would like this one point noted on the chart so that I can
look at the curve before and after this data point and compare them. Is
there any way to place one mark on the chart that coincides with the comment.
I am just using a single line chart. Thank you. Even just a colored dot
would work for me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Bill -

You can format one point differently. Select the series then select the
point (two single clicks). Now use CTRL+1 (numeral one) to format what's
selected (or use Format menu Selected Point), go to the Patterns tab, and
change the marker, marker size, or color. While you're at it, you can add a
data label (Data Label tab) as well, which will move as the point moves. Use
any of the default options for the content of the data label. After OKing
your way out of the dialog, select the label, two single clicks again, and
the third click lets you select and edit the text in the label. Or just
select the label without entering it for editing, click in the formula bar,
type = (the Equals key), then with the mouse click on the cell with the
comment, and the label will be linked to the cell. It's easier to edit the
cell than the label, eh?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Bill43" wrote in message
I have a chart with several years of data on it. I have placed a comment
on
the worksheet and would like this one point noted on the chart so that I
can
look at the curve before and after this data point and compare them. Is
there any way to place one mark on the chart that coincides with the
comment.
I am just using a single line chart. Thank you. Even just a colored dot
would work for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon
OK... your magic method of labeling a point works -- but it requires a lot
of manual input when there are many points ...
Is there a method of automatically labeling a series of data points that
have been plotted in an x-y scatter plot?
Regards
Rex

"Bill43" wrote in message
I have a chart with several years of data on it. I have placed a comment
on
the worksheet and would like this one point noted on the chart so that I
can
look at the curve before and after this data point and compare them.

Is
there any way to place one mark on the chart that coincides with the
comment.
I am just using a single line chart. Thank you. Even just a colored

dot
would work for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I must have hit send before finishing the post, my bad. There are two very
good utilities which are free and apply labels from a worksheet range to a
chart series:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon