Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jay

Default Macro fails in Pie Chart - Can Microsoft / MVP please comment

Hi

I posted this on 17 Nov 2005. Andy Pope in a reply post has confirmed that
he can reproduce the problem.

Please can someone at Microsoft or an MVP see below and offer soem advice

Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1

When you record a macro in Excel to produce a Pie Chart with 'Chart Title',
'Category Name' and 'Percentage', and when the macro is run it produces the
Chart with 'Chart Title' but does NOT add the 'Category Name' and
'Percentages'

It would be nice if someone at Microsoft can confirm if this has been
resolved -
- With a patch
- If so is this patch available in a Service Pack?
- If so which Service Pack ?
- If not is their a plan to resolve this ?

The problem exists at a University, A College of Further Education and on my
own XP installation.

Any help/advice to resolve offcially and permananetly will be welcome

Thanks

Jay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

1. I just checked this on the latest SP of Excel 2003, and it does not
capture the data labels in the chart wizard. Therefore, it's not included in
any patch.

2. I cannot speak for Microsoft, but this is the kind of thing that I
wouldn't expect to be patched. Many other glitches in macro recorded code
have persisted since Excel 97 or even Excel 5. So don't hold your breath.

3. The macro recorder produces code which at best is inefficient, and at
worst won't run. Recorded code should be run with this understanding. I use
the recorder all the time, because it's quicker than looking up syntax in
the VBE Object Browser, but I never use it as is.

Andy did propose a workaround: record the macro but just create the chart
with the wizard, then when the wizard is closed apply the labels. The
recorder picks up the labels this way as if it worked in the first place.

It's probably a better use of your efforts to understand the limitations of
the macro recorder and work around it, rather than to push for it to be made
perfect (or at least merely inefficient).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Jay" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jay

Jon

This is an excellent reply and yes I had searched for any reference to a
fix/patch before I posted.

Yes ofcourse I use the work around and did even before I posted but wanted
to make sure that here in Scotland we hadn't missed something.

I shall share Andy and your replies with the tutur concerned and many thanks.

Jay