Blunt

Default Excel chartting need help with x axis

I have two columns of paired data that I am trying to chart. I highlight the
range of both columns and then F11 and it plots both and creates values for
the x axis. I want the first column to be the x axis... I don't want to plot
it. Can't figure it out...what am I doing wrong?

R.VENKATARAMAN

try this.
highlight EMPTY cell
first hit F11. you get blank chart
righclick the blank chart. and click <source data
in the <sourcedatawindow choose <series - see at the top
click <add
against name give some name
against values click that small icon on the right hand end
now go back to the sheet and highlight the second column and hit enter
you come back to source data window
against catsegory x axis labels cick the icon on right hand side and go back
to sheet and clikc the data in the first column
hit enter. you come back to source data window
clcik OK in the source data windowl

if you want to change the chart type you can right click ourside chart area
and click chart type.

alternately you can highlight both columns and go through chart wizard
choose xy scatter and the third type in the charttype window.\ and go
through the next steps in wizard.

may be easier solutions are available.

Blunt wrote in message
I have two columns of paired data that I am trying to chart. I highlight

the
range of both columns and then F11 and it plots both and creates values

for
the x axis. I want the first column to be the x axis... I don't want to

plot
it. Can't figure it out...what am I doing wrong?

Jon Peltier

Select the range, start the chart wizard (choose Chart from the Insert
menu, or click on the little Chart icon on the toolbar), and in the
first step of the wizard, select an XY Scatter chart.

If you want a Line chart, select the XY Scatter chart type with markers
and lines.

If you don't want a scatter (or line) chart, put a label in the cell
over the Y values, and leave the cell over the X values blank. (You are
putting the X values to the left of the Y values, right?) Now clicking
F11 will use the columns as you intend, because the blank cell tells
Excel the columns are different, and one is the categories.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services