Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default two bars and a line on 2 axes

Need a custom chart with 2 vertical bars side by side, on one axis, and a
line on a second axis. Anyone know the series of steps I need? I was having
trouble figuring out the order of what set of the three data goes where, and
how to define which of the pieces is on bar and which is on line, and which
is second axis, etc.

Thanks for any help.
--
Boris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Create your own combination chart by starting with a clustered column
chart. Then right click the column series you wish to change to a line.
From the context menu pick Chart Type. Choose the appropriate line chart.

Cheers
Andy

BorisS wrote:
Need a custom chart with 2 vertical bars side by side, on one axis, and a
line on a second axis. Anyone know the series of steps I need? I was having
trouble figuring out the order of what set of the three data goes where, and
how to define which of the pieces is on bar and which is on line, and which
is second axis, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks. And how do I get the second axis to work? In other words, by
clicking on the series which I want to convert from column to line, do I
select the custom column-line 2 axes type, and then it knows automatically
that I meant for the column on which I selected to be the line and the second
axis?

Thanks for the further clarification.
--
Boris

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

Create your own combination chart by starting with a clustered column
chart. Then right click the column series you wish to change to a line.
From the context menu pick Chart Type. Choose the appropriate line chart.

Cheers
Andy

BorisS wrote:
Need a custom chart with 2 vertical bars side by side, on one axis, and a
line on a second axis. Anyone know the series of steps I need? I was having
trouble figuring out the order of what set of the three data goes where, and
how to define which of the pieces is on bar and which is on line, and which
is second axis, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you double click the series there is an tab on the format dialog
which allows you to specify which axis to use.
The secondary y axis is displayed automatically. If you need the
secondary X axis see here
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip008.htm

Cheers
Andy

BorisS wrote:
Thanks. And how do I get the second axis to work? In other words, by
clicking on the series which I want to convert from column to line, do I
select the custom column-line 2 axes type, and then it knows automatically
that I meant for the column on which I selected to be the line and the second
axis?

Thanks for the further clarification.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Very impressive stuff on your site. Hats off. I've seen some others, but
this is a cut above.

Thanks for the tips on selecting secondary axis as well.

Not sure if it's a related question, but actually choosing which type of
charting happens for a particular series (as in, if I have, let's say, three
lines that I want and 2 bars). Possible? How do I tell Excel which series
goes with which type, or is it simply that if I have two axes, and one
corresponds to columns and the other to lines, then by telling something that
is initially a column to be on the secondary axis, it'll just switch to a
line because it'll then be on the secondary axis?
--
Boris

BorisS wrote:
Thanks. And how do I get the second axis to work? In other words, by
clicking on the series which I want to convert from column to line, do I
select the custom column-line 2 axes type, and then it knows automatically
that I meant for the column on which I selected to be the line and the second
axis?

Thanks for the further clarification.

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Firstly, thanks for the comments.

With column and line it is possible to have both chart types on both
sets of axes. So you will need to change both the chart and axis type of
the series.

Cheers
Andy

BorisS wrote:
Very impressive stuff on your site. Hats off. I've seen some others, but
this is a cut above.

Thanks for the tips on selecting secondary axis as well.

Not sure if it's a related question, but actually choosing which type of
charting happens for a particular series (as in, if I have, let's say, three
lines that I want and 2 bars). Possible? How do I tell Excel which series
goes with which type, or is it simply that if I have two axes, and one
corresponds to columns and the other to lines, then by telling something that
is initially a column to be on the secondary axis, it'll just switch to a
line because it'll then be on the secondary axis?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

so in now rereading your initial response, you're saying that I don't even
have to pick the custom charts when selecting to change each column? I can
literally pick each column and say that I want it to be a line, and Excel
will keep the other columns intact?
--
Boris