Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Correlations, how do I graph one?

I have data of my weekly pay and hours worked. I want to show the
correlation between the two. When I do a linear regression it doesn't
work, and I don't understand why the correl function is for the range
of each data set.

For example:

5/1 $100 5 hours
5/15 $200 7 hours
5/30 $50 3 hours
etc.

I have the money and hours graphed on a charted over time, on two
separate axis. now how do I show the correlation between them on this
chart?

I tried to use the CORREL function to do somthing like this :

CORREL (money1:money3,hours1:hours3)

but the amount comes out as a really small decimal, like .04. Even if
I switch it around, and do hours,money I get the same amount. I am
thinking that I should not have the hours charted on the second axis,
but don't understand how I get the correct correlation percentage
charted.

Please help!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Did you make an Line (incorrect) or XY (correct) chart?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"misscrf" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

misscrf -

It would help if you describe a little bit more than "it doesn't work."

If you are interested in the correlation between money and hours, construct
an XY (Scatter) chart using that data.

The correlation is a single-number summary measure of the linear
relationship between two related sets of numbers. Since it is a single
number, it is not usually plotted.

CORREL({100,200,50},{5,7,3}) is approximately 0.98.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

ups.com...