Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Large Quantity of Data, Graphed in Time Intervals

I have a very large set of data (over 20,000 points) listed in minute
intervals. I'd like to be able to create charts using different time
intervals such as 5 minutes, 15 minutes etc. by using a pull down menu to
select the interval and have the graph make itself. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can use a pivot table to group times by such intervals.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Kirsten" wrote in message
I have a very large set of data (over 20,000 points) listed in minute
intervals. I'd like to be able to create charts using different time
intervals such as 5 minutes, 15 minutes etc. by using a pull down menu to
select the interval and have the graph make itself. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'm sorry, I thought it lets you group by a number of minutes (like it does
with days) but I was wrong. That should teach me to check it first. But
there's at least another way to skin that cat.

I put 0:05 (five minutes) into cell C1, and my data looks like this,
starting in cell B3 (it's much longer):

Time Group Value
1:01 AM 1:00 AM 1
1:02 AM 1:00 AM 2
1:03 AM 1:00 AM 3
1:04 AM 1:00 AM 4
1:05 AM 1:05 AM 5
1:06 AM 1:05 AM 6
1:07 AM 1:05 AM 7
1:08 AM 1:05 AM 8

The formula in C4 is
=FLOOR(B4,C$1)

I made my pivot table using the "Group" field and "Value" field. To change
the grouping it's easy to change the value in C1 and refresh the pivot
table.

- Jon
-------