Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Formating textbox on a chart

I have a dollar amount created with the formula
=IF(NewProfit<0,"$"&FIXED(-NewProfit,-2),"$"&FIXED(NewProfit,-2)) in an
Excel spreadsheet which is linked to a textbox on a chart.

I would like to format the numbers in the chart 1) Bold and 2) Blue when
positive and Red when negative.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can just select the textbox and select Bold.

You don't need the IF to get conditional formatting or your dollar format.
The cell just needs this formula

=ROUND(NewProfit,-2)

(FIXED results in text, not a number) and a custom number format of

[blue]$#,##0;[red]$-#,##0;$0;@

Link the textbox to the cell, and apply the same number format to the
textbox.

More on number formats:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Roger B." wrote in message
I have a dollar amount created with the formula
=IF(NewProfit<0,"$"&FIXED(-NewProfit,-2),"$"&FIXED(NewProfit,-2)) in an
Excel spreadsheet which is linked to a textbox on a chart.

I would like to format the numbers in the chart 1) Bold and 2) Blue when
positive and Red when negative.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon, thanks so much for your update. It was very helpful. There is only
one problem: I can't get the "Format Cells, Number" when working in the
TextBox. Instead I get "Format TextBox" but can't find the numbers. Also
looked at your website but couldn't find the cure.
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Roger

"Roger B." wrote in message
I have a dollar amount created with the formula
=IF(NewProfit<0,"$"&FIXED(-NewProfit,-2),"$"&FIXED(NewProfit,-2)) in an
Excel spreadsheet which is linked to a textbox on a chart.

I would like to format the numbers in the chart 1) Bold and 2) Blue when
positive and Red when negative.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

I think maybe Jon was think of a data label, which does have a number
format.

For textboxes I think you will need to use 2 of everything.
2 formula to display the result
positive
=IF(ROUND(NewProfit,-2)=0,ROUND(NewProfit,-2),"")

negative
=IF(ROUND(NewProfit,-2)<0,ROUND(NewProfit,-2),"")

and 2 textboxes with the correct formatting applied.

Cheers
Andy

Roger B. wrote:
[...]

.. .

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Here's what I did. I formatted the cell with the custom number format. I
copied the cell (C8 on Sheet1), selected the chart, held Shift while
selecting the Edit menu, and chose Paste Picture. I selected the picture,
clicked in the Formula bar, and typed =Sheet1!$C$8, a link to the cell. Now
the picture of the cell is dynamic, including the value and the format. I
don't know how stable this is. I seem to recall crashes using this kind of
technique in earlier versions of Excel (I'm using 2003).

- Jon
-------

Roger B. wrote:
[...]

"Roger B." wrote in message
. ..

I have a dollar amount created with the formula
=IF(NewProfit<0,"$"&FIXED(-NewProfit,-2),"$"&FIXED(NewProfit,-2)) in
an Excel spreadsheet which is linked to a textbox on a chart.

I would like to format the numbers in the chart 1) Bold and 2) Blue
when positive and Red when negative.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

Roger

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon, thanks for the great instructions. It all works except that I can't
get the size of the picture to adjust to the size I want. I have also seen
a crash but that was caused by moving things around so hopefully it will
stay OK when not moved about.

I really appreciate your detailed reply,

"Roger B." wrote in message

I have a dollar amount created with the formula
=IF(NewProfit<0,"$"&FIXED(-NewProfit,-2),"$"&FIXED(NewProfit,-2)) in
an Excel spreadsheet which is linked to a textbox on a chart.

I would like to format the numbers in the chart 1) Bold and 2) Blue
when positive and Red when negative.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

Roger

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Roger -

Email me in a month and let me know if it still seems sufficiently stable.
It does seem less shaky in 2003 than in 2000, when I recall having some nice
crashes using this technique.

- Jon
-------

Roger B. wrote:
[...]

"Roger B." wrote in message
l...

I have a dollar amount created with the formula
=IF(NewProfit<0,"$"&FIXED(-NewProfit,-2),"$"&FIXED(NewProfit,-2)) in
an Excel spreadsheet which is linked to a textbox on a chart.

I would like to format the numbers in the chart 1) Bold and 2) Blue
when positive and Red when negative.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

Roger

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon, I lost my msnews for several months so could not answer your
question sooner. I got the "Formating textbox on a chart" to work initially
and it has worked really well since then.
Many thanks for all your kind help.
I'll send this to you personally as well as on the newsgroup we were using.
Roger

Roger B. wrote:
[...]

. gbl...