Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Vertical line isn't vertical!

Hi All -

I need to insert a 'dynamic' vertical line into a line-chart -- the
line will separate the Past from the Future. After some searching, I
found Jon Peltier's site, which had some really good information on it
...... but I just can't get it work!

Right now, the vertical line is in the correct spot and 'moves'
properly -- but the line isn't quite horizontal, more of an 85deg angle
(like this: / ). The vertical line is definitely setup as an XY
scatter connected with a line (no markers). What am I doing wrong? Or
did I miss a step?

Thanks, Ray

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hello again ...

Some additional information....when I mouse-over the two endpoints, I
get the following information:
Point 1 - Series 'today', Point '37' (1,0)
Point 2 - Series 'today', Point '37' (2,1)

Where are the 'coordinates' coming from and how do I change them? I
saw on Jon's example file that the coordinates actually has a different
format (the 'Point' is the first number in the coordinates).

thanks, ray

wrote:
Hi All -

I need to insert a 'dynamic' vertical line into a line-chart -- the
line will separate the Past from the Future. After some searching, I
found Jon Peltier's site, which had some really good information on it
..... but I just can't get it work!

Right now, the vertical line is in the correct spot and 'moves'
properly -- but the line isn't quite horizontal, more of an 85deg angle
(like this: / ). The vertical line is definitely setup as an XY
scatter connected with a line (no markers). What am I doing wrong? Or
did I miss a step?

Thanks, Ray

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Aren't the coordinates on the sheet where the series gets its values? If
it's a vertical line, you change one X value in the series' source data
range so that both points have the same X value. If the chart is embedded on
the sheet, select the series, and the source data for the series will be
highlighted with light rectangular outlines. If you can't find the source
range, go to Source Data on the Chart menu, click on the Series tab, select
the 'today' series in the list, and use the X and Y value input boxes to
find the source data ranges.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP