Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default combining 3D with lines

Hi

I have a lot of data that I need to chart, however I am trying to avoid it
looking too messy. I have 15 business units which have 2 pieces of data to
be compared for each week. I thought that a 3D graph would do it but it
still looks messy, and everytime I try to add a line as the 2nd piece of data
the graph reverts back to a 2D format. Can anyone suggest a better way of
graphing this?

Cheers
Soph
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

You can not combine chart types when using 3d styles.

What exactly is messy when you use a combination cluster column and line?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Andy

Becuase there are 15 groups that each have 2 sets of data (one is number,
the other is %) for each week, over several weeks the graph becomes hard to
read - there are so many lines and columns that matching the right column to
line becomes time consuming...I would really like to be able to attach the %
info the the correct column but it isn't looking right!

soph wrote:
Hi

I have a lot of data that I need to chart, however I am trying to avoid it
looking too messy. I have 15 business units which have 2 pieces of data to
be compared for each week. I thought that a 3D graph would do it but it
still looks messy, and everytime I try to add a line as the 2nd piece of data
the graph reverts back to a 2D format. Can anyone suggest a better way of
graphing this?

Cheers
Soph

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If I have your chart right, 30 series (15 numbers + 15 %s) for multiple
categories (weeks) then yes your chart does look messy ;)

I also assume the 15 lines points are in the middle of each column
cluster per week instead of the middle of each associated number column.
To fix the alignment you would need to use xy-scatter instead of line
and give each line x values to offset from center and align with correct
column. But even with the alignment sort the chart will still look messy.

Have a look at Kelly O'Day's panel charts, which may give you some
inspiration.
http://www.processtrends.com/toc_panel_charts.htm

Cheers
Andy