Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default line chart over time

Hi,

My data looks like this:
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
06/26/06 5 4 3 6 3 1 1
07/03/06 1 2 4 9 0 0 2
07/10/06 0 1 1 1 2 2 1
07/17/06 8 6 4 3 0 1 0
07/24/06 5 5 3 0 0 2 3

I know how to chart data against time if I have just one column of
dates and one of data, but how can I chart the above data as one
series?

Thanks for any help,
grimholtz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

grimholtz -

Maybe you could try to get the original raw data instead of this summarized
table.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My data looks like this:
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
06/26/06 5 4 3 6 3 1 1
07/03/06 1 2 4 9 0 0 2
07/10/06 0 1 1 1 2 2 1
07/17/06 8 6 4 3 0 1 0
07/24/06 5 5 3 0 0 2 3

I know how to chart data against time if I have just one column of
dates and one of data, but how can I chart the above data as one
series?

Thanks for any help,
grimholtz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Mike Middleton wrote:
Maybe you could try to get the original raw data instead of this summarized
table.

Hi Mike,

Well, I have the raw data. What I posted isn't a summary. Let me ask
the question a different way. Say I have daily stock price data for
stock symbol ABC. If I want a line chart showing price vs. time, how
can I do that? Assume I have 52 rows each with 7 columns. Each column
is a day of the week. Each row is a week of the year.

Thanks for reading,
grimholtz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

What Mike means is that the data is not properly set up to plot as a single
series. To show price vs date, you need a column of dates and a column of
prices. Charts can only plot the data that's available; they can't guess
that you want to offset each adjacent column by an extra day. You need to
unsummarize the data.

Although you say your data isn't summarized, it really is, because it is as
if the daily data has been pivoted so that the week beginning date is in the
first column and the days of the week across the first row. Maybe you didn't
use a pivot table to summarize it, but it's summarized.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions