Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Trendline Chart Data

Hi,

Besides guessing, can I get the data points from my Trendline on my Chart?
I am looking for amounts from the Trendline.

Thanks,

Stephanie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Stephanie -

Did you look at the LinearTrendSeasonalForecast.xls workbook that I posted
for you at www.mikemiddleton.com ?

The "3 Visual Check Trend" worksheet has a linear trendline, and the "5
Trend and Ratios" worksheet uses the array-entered TREND worksheet function
to obtain the same points in worksheet cells.

- Mike

"steph44haf" wrote in message

Besides guessing, can I get the data points from my Trendline on my Chart?
I am looking for amounts from the Trendline.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Mike,

I am having trouble with the ^{1,2} part of the Trend equation. I get an
error when I put that in. I know I must be doing something wrong.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Stephanie

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

Stephanie -

Did you look at the LinearTrendSeasonalForecast.xls workbook that I posted
for you at www.mikemiddleton.com ?

The "3 Visual Check Trend" worksheet has a linear trendline, and the "5
Trend and Ratios" worksheet uses the array-entered TREND worksheet function
to obtain the same points in worksheet cells.

- Mike

"steph44haf" wrote in message

Besides guessing, can I get the data points from my Trendline on my Chart?
I am looking for amounts from the Trendline.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Stephanie -

You should use your judgment to decide whether the linear trend or the
quadratic trend is appropriate.

The quadratic trend uses ^{1,2} to obtain both x and x^2 values as
explanatory variables so that the fitted values have some curvature, i.e.,
polynomial of order 2, also called a quadratic.

The TREND function must be array-entered (and a formula that uses ^{1,2}must
be array-entered). To array-enter the function, select the range of cells
that will contain the function results, type the =TREND(...) function with
appropriate arguments but do not press Enter, instead after typing the
closing parentheses hold down Control and Shift keys while you press Enter,
thus "array-entering" the function.