Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jason Jason is offline

Default traffic light in excel

I've searching all over... can someone educate me on how to do this? I have
the sheet set up already but CF is very new to me!

Thank you!

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Am I asking too much?

Yes, you are. You would need to use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting
value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to
display.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Lumar" wrote in message
The conditional formatting & other examples I've seen don't quite give me
enough options - we are using Excel for project-like lists (because, unlike
Project, it can slice, dice, count according to various strategic
parameters). For those projects, besides metrics & tasks, dates, etc., we
are capturing "status". Besides the typical red-amber-green, we have three
others (New, completed-but-late, and due-date-revised). I'd love to do a
drop down election (using wing-dings) for "status", and thought I could
create a colourized wing-ding list to do so - but display within the drop
downs doesn't show the symbols (but rather the "text" equivalent) even when /
if I change the cell's font to wingdings. Am I asking too much?