Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C. John C. is offline

Default Excel 2003 Conditional formatting challenge question

Jacob,
Though I appreciated the reponse, it didn't address my questions, which we

1) When the formula is
"=A1=MAX(A1,A8)", why do I need the "=A1" in front of the "=MAX.."? What if
I left it out?

2) I saw an example on another site using =$A1=MAX($A1,$A8). How do the $
signs restrict the copy in this case?

Lastly, how is the active cell related the entire table that is selected,
i.e. If A1 is selected, and then I choose A1 through C6 as mu range, what
does the active cell indicate?

john

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Using MAX() will return true if both cell values are same or blank...Try the
below

To your questions
--CF expects either a true or false.=A1A8 returns either a TRUE or FALSE
--To your question.CF applies for the entire selection.So need to copy paste.

1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:C6). Please note that the cell reference A1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection

2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting
3. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=A1A8
4. Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color
5. Hit OK

6. Now select the cell/Range (say A8:C13). Please note that the cell
reference A8 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection.
Active cell will have a white background even after selection

7. From menu FormatConditional Formatting
8. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=A8A1
9. Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color
10. Hit OK

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"John C." wrote:

Luke,
Ok, I am a bit green on conditional formatting. When the formula is
"=A1=MAX(A1,A8)", why do I need the "=A1" in front of the "=MAX.."? What if
I left it out? Also, once I establish the first and second table, do i then
copy the A1 cell and simply special paste just the format in all of the
cells, and then do the same for the second table?

I saw an example on another site using =$A1=MAX($A1,$A8). How do the $
signs restrict the copy in this case?

Thanks for your assistance.

John

"Luke M" wrote:

Select the first table, A1:C6, with A1 being active cell. CF formula is:
=A1=MAX(A1,A8)
Set format, ok out.

Select second table, A8:C13, with A8 being active cell. CF formula is:
=A8=MAX(A1,A8)
Set format, ok out.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"John C." wrote:

I am familiar with how to find a min and max value in a table and change the
color of the cell and even the font to bold. However, I am stumped with this
problem. Let's say that I have data in a table from A1 to C6, and from A8 to
C13. I want to compare A1 to A8, A2 to A9....C6 to C13, and highlight the
maximum one for each comparison, so that I am comparing apples to apples.

Will someone please explain how to do this? Thanks for your consideration.

John