Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default function - LEN

Maybe from the post that matt hinkle authored?

matt hinkle wrote:
Hi Biff!
using the =len(a1) works fine unless the cell is empty/blank; it
returns count of 1 for blank cell--how do I account for these? I
assume it would be an if statement of some kind??

Gord

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:56:17 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK
wrote:

How did you know his name was Matt, David?

Pete

On Oct 21, 11:32*pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Wrong, Matt! *LEN does not return 1 for an empty or blank cell.
For either a completely empty cell or a cell with the empty string ="", LEN
returns zero.
If you are seeing a LEN of 1, you do not have a blank or empty cell; *you
have a character in there.
You can see which character with =CODE(A1). *If it returns 32, you have a
space, if it returns 160, you have a non-breaking space.
--
David Biddulph

matt hinkle wrote:
Hi Biff!
using the =len(a1) works fine unless the cell is empty/blank; it
returns count of 1 for blank cell--how do I account for these? I
assume it would be an if statement of some kind??

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
31-Aug-08

Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

On Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:19 PM
msloel wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
I am doing a catalog merge in publisher. Data is in XL. Publisher has
255
character limit on merged info. How do I count the characters before I
execute the merge?

On Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:26 PM
T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)- Hide quoted text -