Jim May

Franks, thanks (as usual) for your input.
one question... does the "--" preceding the mid()
statement coerce what would be string values into numeric values?
Am I saying this right?
TIA,
and Happy New Year to you

"Biff" wrote in message
Hi!

Insert a helper column to the left of the eight other
columns.

Assume that is column A and you enter this one 8 digit
number in A2.

A2 = 12345678

In B2 enter this formula and copy across to I2:

=--MID($A2,COLUMN(A:A),1)

Biff