Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BSc Chem Eng Rick BSc Chem Eng Rick is offline

Default How to cut off characters in a text column

Hi

Try this fomula:
=LEFT(A1,30)

where A1 contains your text and 30 is the number of characters from the left
that you want to keep.

If this helps please click "Yes"
<<<<<<<<<<

"abc" wrote:

Hello

In my Excel file there is a column with text data
where the data consist of lots of characters.
Only n characters in the column for each record
are really important.
The question is how to cut off (delete) all characters
from n+1 to the end automatically.

The exmple which shows one of records:
originally the column contains:
qwer tyuiopa csdf ghjkvlzxc vbnm qew gfiwbv lwbvci
the expected result:
qwer tyuiopa csdf ghjkvlzxc vb
where the number n is equal to 30.

How to do it automatically?
If I put the number n as a width of column it'll result
on the display but not in printing or MailMerge process.

I'd be very grateful for your help.

Regards
abc