Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Organising hyperlinks

In message of Sat,
10 Oct 2009 04:23:01 in microsoft.public.excel.newusers, Gary''s Student
writes

Hello,
Thank you for pointing me at an area of Excel which is new to me.
The concept in your response is awesome.

Hi Walter:

Excel is not like Word or PowerPoint. In Word, you can assign a separate
hyperlink to each word in a sentence or table. In Excel, we can put
thousands of potential hyperlinks in single cell as follows:

FIRST create a table of the options. In G1 thru G4 enter:

cnn.com
abc.com
nbc.com
fox.com

I can do that!

from the list in column G.

That was harder! In Excel 2003 help, I found no example simple enough
for me. The following seems to do what you say: "In A1, click
Data/Validation... and in the Settings tab, set Allow: to List and
Source: to =$G$1:$G$4".

FINALLY in B1 enter:

=HYPERLINK("http://www." & A1)

This gives the user the ability to pick the destination in A1 and click the
link in B1!

Using the =HYPERLINK() function gives you better control of the operation.
I use Inserted hyperlink if they need to interact with my macros.

I look forward to implementing changes using your advice. ;)
--
Walter Briscoe