Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob I Bob I is offline

Default File integrity checking?

If you do a FC (windows file compare) between a copy of the file that
has been opened and one that hasn't, what is listed as different. (.xlsx
files don't change for me)

bogstick wrote:
Anyone???

What is causing Excel documents to give different MD5 checksum values when
nothing is changed other than opening and closing the file??

"bogstick" wrote:

I like to routinely check my documents against backups by comparing MD5
signatures.
However, I find this impossible with Excel files because the MD5 value
changes just from opening and closing documents. I do not have this problem
with Word documents or any other type of file.
Could someone advise if there is an Excel setting that is causing this? If
so, do I need to use another file integrity checking method? What?