Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nick nick is offline

Default Need Correct Function

Thank you!

"Luke M" wrote:

Take a look at SUMIF in help file

=SUMIF(A:A,"Mortgage",B:B)

If you were creating a report, a handy thing would be to have the report
have a unique list of all possible entries, and then change "Mortgage" in
your formula to a cell reference, making it easier to copy formula for other
uses.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Nick" wrote:

Hello..

I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2003.

Column A
Mortgage
Taxes
Utilty
Mortgage
Utility (so on and so forth)

Column B
$1000
$2200
$100
$1000
$100

What I am trying to do is get a "grand total" based on the value in column
A. Basically, I am hoping that the function can go through column A,
identify each "mortgage" entry (for example) and then get the amount spent
from column B and give me a grand total. In this case, I would get $2000.

Any help would be appreciated!