Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional formatting

B2 is text, A2 is a number formatted as a date. [... and I thought you said
you were using A1, not A2?]
If you want to compare, use numbers not text. You can format the display of
a number in a cell to include text, if you wish to do so.
--
David Biddulph

"Amy" wrote in message
Cells Entry:

Cell A1 - manually entered goods "aging" period begin= 3 mths
Cell A2 - date of goods received = for example 18.06.2008 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Cell B1 - cut-off date = 30.04.2009 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Cell B2 - age of good: formula =DATEDIF(J61,$J$4,"ym")&" mths"

Conditional Formatting on CELL B2:

Cell is / "greater than or equal to" =$A$2
If condition is true = cell backbground color change to blue

Example of Problem encountered cell results:

CELL A1 = 3 mths
CELL A2 = 18.06.2008
CELL B1 = 30.04.2009
CELL B2 = 10 mths

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Again, we need to see your CF formula to see where you've gone wrong.
--
David Biddulph

"Amy" wrote in message
I tried to work on months only and again it missed out th 10th & 11th
month.

"Amy" wrote:

Yes A1

Well thats a good idea as well but generally, we are use to referring
it
in
mmm-yyy rather then mmm only. I can try but I can foresee complaints
from
the end user

thanks

"David Biddulph" wrote:

I assume that your formula actually refers to A1, not A2?
Why not just work in months, rather than years and months?
--
David Biddulph

"Amy" wrote in message
Cells Entry:

Cell A1 - manually entered goods "aging" period begin= 0 yrs, 3
mths
Cell A2 - date of goods received = for example 18.06.2008
(dd.mm.yyy)
Cell B1 - cut-off date = 30.04.2009 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Cell B2 - age of good: formula =DATEDIF(A2,$B$1,"y")&" yrs,
"&DATEDIF(A2,$B$1,"ym")&" mths"

Conditional Formatting on CELL B2:

Cell is / "greater than or equal to" =$A$2
If condition is true = cell backbground color change to blue

Example of Problem encountered cell results:

CELL A1 = 0 yrs, 3 mths
CELL A2 = 18.06.2008
CELL B1 = 30.04.2009
CELL B2 = 0 yrs, 10 mths

Logic --- CELL B2 is greater than CELL A1 thus Condition is TRUE
which
the
background color should be changed to blue, however this does not
happened

thank you very much.

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Pl. share the formula you are using..

Most likely you are not taking care of the year part...
If you current month is 1,2 or 3 and date past is in 10, 11, 12
then
current
- past will not be greater than 3.... but for other months it
will
be as
you
expect.

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to
highlight
if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is
either on
the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month
and
1yr
&
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you