Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Default Conditional formatting

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to highlight if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is either on the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month and 1yr &
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pl. share the formula you are using..

Most likely you are not taking care of the year part...
If you current month is 1,2 or 3 and date past is in 10, 11, 12 then current
- past will not be greater than 3.... but for other months it will be as you
expect.

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to highlight if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is either on the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month and 1yr &
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Cells Entry:

Cell A1 - manually entered goods "aging" period begin= 0 yrs, 3 mths
Cell A2 - date of goods received = for example 18.06.2008 (dd.mm.yyy)
Cell B1 - cut-off date = 30.04.2009 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Cell B2 - age of good: formula =DATEDIF(A2,$B$1,"y")&" yrs,
"&DATEDIF(A2,$B$1,"ym")&" mths"

Conditional Formatting on CELL B2:

Cell is / "greater than or equal to" =$A$2
If condition is true = cell backbground color change to blue

Example of Problem encountered cell results:

CELL A1 = 0 yrs, 3 mths
CELL A2 = 18.06.2008
CELL B1 = 30.04.2009
CELL B2 = 0 yrs, 10 mths

Logic --- CELL B2 is greater than CELL A1 thus Condition is TRUE which the
background color should be changed to blue, however this does not happened

thank you very much.

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to highlight if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is either on the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month and 1yr &
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are comparing text values...
0 yrs, 10 mths is less than 0 yrs, 3 mths when you sort as TEXT
You can put these values and sort to see

Enter 3 in A1
6/18/2008 in A2
4/30/2009 in B1
=DATEDIF(A2,B1,"m") in B2

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to highlight if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is either on the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month and 1yr &
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

thanks, :-) i managed to highlight the 10th & 11th month by entering 3 in
cell A1 and retain the rest as original.

Thank you again.

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to highlight if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is either on the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month and 1yr &
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Oops, speak too soon. My steps did not work. It highlights all the months
including those less than or equal to 3 months.

PLEASE help.

Thanks

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to highlight if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is either on the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month and 1yr &
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Yes A1

Well thats a good idea as well but generally, we are use to referring it in
mmm-yyy rather then mmm only. I can try but I can foresee complaints from
the end user

thanks

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to highlight
if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is either on
the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month and 1yr
&
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Cells Entry:

Cell A1 - manually entered goods "aging" period begin= 3 mths
Cell A2 - date of goods received = for example 18.06.2008 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Cell B1 - cut-off date = 30.04.2009 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Cell B2 - age of good: formula =DATEDIF(J61,$J$4,"ym")&" mths"

Conditional Formatting on CELL B2:

Cell is / "greater than or equal to" =$A$2
If condition is true = cell backbground color change to blue

Example of Problem encountered cell results:

CELL A1 = 3 mths
CELL A2 = 18.06.2008
CELL B1 = 30.04.2009
CELL B2 = 10 mths

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to
highlight
if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is
either on
the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month and
1yr
&
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

B2 is text, A2 is a number formatted as a date. [... and I thought you said
you were using A1, not A2?]
If you want to compare, use numbers not text. You can format the display of
a number in a cell to include text, if you wish to do so.
--
David Biddulph

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to
highlight
if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is
either on
the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month
and
1yr
&
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

it works when we convert to number but it did not take the age past 13 months
but only takes the month,i.e. 1 for 1 yr 1 mth result.

"Amy" wrote:

Hi, i have applied a conditional formatting for the cell to
highlight
if the
date past 3 months, however it does not work if the months is
either on
the
10th or 11th month but it works for the rest; 1st to 9th month
and
1yr
&
above.

Please share your thought in resolving this problem.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Amy Amy is offline

Thank you, it works, Finally!! yahoo. highlighted the 10th, 11th 13th & 13th
month.

sheeloo - I did try your suggestion and thank you for your help.