Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joyce Joyce is offline

Default Sorting columns

I'm sorry Jim,

I did as you said.
Inserted 2 blank rows. Numbered the 1st one 1-26 and gave the second row
"new" positions"

When i go to the Sort Dialog Box, click "Sort left to right" (after
sellecting all 26 columns) and then ok it...but everything seems to stay the
same. I don't see any change. The columns stay from 1-26.

--
Joyce @ fMX

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Insert two blank rows directly above the data.
In the first row enter consecutive numbers in each cell 1 thru 26.
In the second row enter a number in each cell that corresponds
with the "new" position for the column.
Select all 26 columns.
In the "Sort" dialog box, click the "Options" button and check
'Sort left to right' and click ok.
The dialog box then allows you to specify the row to sort by (new positions row).
(the consecutive numbers in the first row allows you to return to the
original column order when desired)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Joyce"
wrote in message
Yes. That's what i'm trying to do. This is what i have:

A B C D E F G
20 20 20 20 20 20 20
25 20 20 20 20 20 20
12 12 12 12 12 12 12
12 12 12 12 12 12 10
12 15 13 15 15 15 15
20 20 20 20 20 20 20
13 12 12 12 12 12 15
5 5 4 4 4 4 5
20 20 15 20 20 20 15
13 13 13 13 13 13 13
14 14 12 14 14 14 14
24 20 20 20 20 20 20
15 15 15 15 15 15 15
17 15 15 15 15 15 15
13 13 14 14 14 14 15
20 20 20 20 20 20 20

* That's just a small part (they go up to 26 columns & may be 70 rows) *

As you can see, every column has similar values on their rows. I want to
sort the columns without alterting the individual rows. In other words, when
i sort them out i don't want to end up with A2 in D7. If that happends I
wouldnt know what is what.

Whenever i try to sort them out i end up with something like:

A B C D E F G
3 3 2 2 2 2 2
3 3 2 2 3 2 2
3 3 3 3 3 3 3
4 4 3 4 4 4 3
4 8 5 4 4 5 4
4 4 3 4 3 4 3
5 5 4 4 4 4 5
6 10 5 6 6 6 6
6 6 6 6 6 6 7
6 6 6 6 6 6 7

That i dont' want. It's sorting from smallest to largest but for every
individual column.

Am I explaning myself?

--
Joyce @ fMX

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Kassie,
Maybe Joyce is actually trying to sort the columns not the rows?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA