Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default Data Sorting

I've thought of another option which you might prefer.
1. Create a new column 4 by copying column 3.
2. Sort columns 1-3 as directed.
3. Delete column 3.

Hope this helps,
Fred.

"Fred Smith" wrote in message
In other words you *don't* want to sort. You want to put your rows in
random order.

From your description, column 3 is in the order that you want column 1 to
be. You could just copy column 3 over column 1 and that would put it in
the right order. The issue is column 2. To rearrange it, create a new
column 4 with Index and Match.

Regards,
Fred.

"Penrhos" wrote in message
That doesn't work - that approach sorts all three columns - I only want
sort columns 1&2 - with the results in the same random order as column 3
originally is in.

"Fred Smith" wrote:

Highlight columns 1 to 3. Use DataSort. Specify you want to sort on
Column
3.

Regards,
Fred.

"Penrhos" wrote in message
I have 3 columns of data. (in actual fact I have 73 columns, but do not
want
any sort of columns 3 to 73).

Column 1 is numeric data in ascending order.
Column 2 is Text data tied to and relevant to the numbers in column 1.
Column 3 is the same numeric data as in Column 1, but in random order.

I want to sort Columns 1 and 2 into the same random order as column 3.

How do I do this?

I would greatly appreciate a fast response - this is a huge, very late
project!!!