Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bmcaf12345 bmcaf12345 is offline

Default Formula to show a date in red if /= 365 days old in Excel?

After reading your post, I went back and looked again at my formula. For some
reason Excel was automatically adding quotes in the middle of my formula. I
didn't understand the relevance or impact of those quotes, and I had left
them alone. Also, I was letting Excel put the = at the beginning of the
formula. So, I went back and typed =Today()-365, hit ok, then opened it back
up again to make sure the formatting stayed exactly as I had typed it and it
did. This time it worked.

I think my problem was 3 things, thinking I needed to say greater than
rather than less than in the beginning. Then I was passively letting Excel
put in quotes and the equals sign in my formula, not realizing how Excel was
interpreting that data.

Now, the formula is working as I intended and I want to thank everyone for
their help!!!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

You've snipped the part of the previous message where you said what
condition you were using. You said:
"In conditional formatting, I put if the cell is greater than or equal to
="today-365", then in the formatting I made the font red"

By saying "greater than or equal" you are asking for a date greater than or
equal to 23/12/07, and hence your date doesn't satisfy the condition so it
is working correctly by not showing red. If you want a date *before*
23/12/07 rather than *after*, then you need to change the "greater than" to
"less than".

And if you put in TODAY()-365, you'll need to check that Excel hasn't put
the quote marks in again. What you were recommended to use, if you again
look back at the previous message, was =TODAY()-365. It sounds as if you
may have forgotten to put in the = sign.
--
David Biddulph

"bmcaf12345" wrote in message
I typed my response on here how it showed it in the formula line, excel put
the quotes in there, not me.

I went back in and put the TODAY()-365, like you both said and there was
no
change. The date in the cell is 11/9/07, and is over 365 days old so it
should be showing red if the formula is correct. I wonder if I am phrasing
it
correctly?

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Community Message Not Available