Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula to show a date in red if /= 365 days old in Excel?

I keep a log of dates that people receive financial assistance which is in
effect for 365 days. After 365 days they must renew their application.
Currently, I manually look for dates that are 365 days old and change the
text to red. I would like to find a formula that would do this for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Conditional formatting doesn't show true or false.

Read the help again, and if you are still struggling come back to us and
tell us step by step what you tried.
--

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Use conditional formatting.
--
David Biddulph

"bmcaf12345" wrote in message
I keep a log of dates that people receive financial assistance which is
in
effect for 365 days. After 365 days they must renew their application.
Currently, I manually look for dates that are 365 days old and change
the
text to red. I would like to find a formula that would do this for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I must have been looking at something else for the true & false. Thanks.

In conditional formatting, I put if the cell is greater than or equal to
="today-365", then in the formatting I made the font red. It did not work
but, I am stuggling with how to phrasing it correctly. Thanks in advance for
your help.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Use conditional formatting.
--
David Biddulph

"bmcaf12345" wrote in message
I keep a log of dates that people receive financial assistance which is
in
effect for 365 days. After 365 days they must renew their application.
Currently, I manually look for dates that are 365 days old and change
the
text to red. I would like to find a formula that would do this for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't want the quote marks around "today-365" as that makes it look for
the text string "today-365".
Also, if you look in Excel help for the TODAY function you'll see that the
syntax is TODAY(), and the parentheses are an essential part of the syntax.
So try replacing ="today-365" by =TODAY()-365
--

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Use conditional formatting.
--
David Biddulph

"bmcaf12345" wrote in message
I keep a log of dates that people receive financial assistance which
is
in
effect for 365 days. After 365 days they must renew their
application.
Currently, I manually look for dates that are 365 days old and
change
the
text to red. I would like to find a formula that would do this for
me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All functions, including those that have no parameter, need parentheses.
When you want today's date, you must use =Today(). Also, ditch the quotes
(they designate you have text, not a formula). Try:

=today()-365

Regards,
Fred.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Use conditional formatting.
--
David Biddulph

"bmcaf12345" wrote in message
I keep a log of dates that people receive financial assistance which
is
in
effect for 365 days. After 365 days they must renew their
application.
Currently, I manually look for dates that are 365 days old and
change
the
text to red. I would like to find a formula that would do this for
me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I typed my response on here how it showed it in the formula line, excel put
the quotes in there, not me.

I went back in and put the TODAY()-365, like you both said and there was no
change. The date in the cell is 11/9/07, and is over 365 days old so it
should be showing red if the formula is correct. I wonder if I am phrasing it
correctly?

Community Message Not Available

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

FormatCFFormula is:

=A1<TODAY()-365

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Community Message Not Available

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You've snipped the part of the previous message where you said what
condition you were using. You said:
"In conditional formatting, I put if the cell is greater than or equal to
="today-365", then in the formatting I made the font red"

By saying "greater than or equal" you are asking for a date greater than or
equal to 23/12/07, and hence your date doesn't satisfy the condition so it
is working correctly by not showing red. If you want a date *before*
23/12/07 rather than *after*, then you need to change the "greater than" to
"less than".

And if you put in TODAY()-365, you'll need to check that Excel hasn't put
the quote marks in again. What you were recommended to use, if you again
look back at the previous message, was =TODAY()-365. It sounds as if you
may have forgotten to put in the = sign.
--

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Community Message Not Available

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're close. try this

=today()-365
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

If this post was helpful to you, please click YES below.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Use conditional formatting.
--
David Biddulph

"bmcaf12345" wrote in message
I keep a log of dates that people receive financial assistance which is
in
effect for 365 days. After 365 days they must renew their application.
Currently, I manually look for dates that are 365 days old and change
the
text to red. I would like to find a formula that would do this for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After reading your post, I went back and looked again at my formula. For some
reason Excel was automatically adding quotes in the middle of my formula. I
didn't understand the relevance or impact of those quotes, and I had left
them alone. Also, I was letting Excel put the = at the beginning of the
formula. So, I went back and typed =Today()-365, hit ok, then opened it back
up again to make sure the formatting stayed exactly as I had typed it and it
did. This time it worked.

I think my problem was 3 things, thinking I needed to say greater than
rather than less than in the beginning. Then I was passively letting Excel
put in quotes and the equals sign in my formula, not realizing how Excel was
interpreting that data.

Now, the formula is working as I intended and I want to thank everyone for
their help!!!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Community Message Not Available

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You say "I didn't understand the relevance or impact of those quotes".
Quote marks are Excel's way of distinguishing a text string, so if you're
not looking for the text string "Today()-365" you don't want the quotes.
If you go back to my message of 19:01 on 23rd, I said (inter alia):
"You don't want the quote marks around "today-365" as that makes it look for
the text string "today-365"."

Yes, with conditional formatting you need to be careful. Make sure that you
put the equals sign in because if Excel has to do so it will assume that
what you've got is a string not a formula (so will put the quotes round it),
and also if you're using cell references in CF you need to check that Excel
hasn't decided to make them absolute when you wanted relative addressing (so
you may need to delete $ signs if it's put them in where you don't want
them). Always safest to go back into CF and check that you've got exactly
what you intended.