Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default CoutIF Question

COUNTIF doesn't directly work across many sheets. You can "trick" it into
doing so but it requires listing your sheet names.

The easiest way to do this would be to use a cell on each sheet with a
formula like this:

=--(H12="x")

This will return either a 1 or a 0. Then you can just do a sum formula like
this:

Assuming the cell on each sheet is AA1...

=SUM(Appelopen:Sarahopen!AA1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"dd" wrote in message
I'm trying to count across 10 different worksheets. I've tried using the
formulas posted but I can't seem to get them to work. This is the formula
that I'm trying to use:

=COUNTIF(Appelopen:Sarahopen!H12,"x") and it keeps giving me a value
error.

If there are any x's, they are all in the same cell on each worksheet.
Meaning some may cells may not have an "x", they may be blank, but I just
want to know how many total x's not cells.

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.