Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bobt Bobt is offline

Default How to reverse code data (1=5, 2=4, etc.)?

If the data is sorted (or can be) by the column with those numbers, then:

1. Sort the records by the column with numbers that need changing. This
will get all of the 1's together, and all the 2's together, etc.
2. Then highlight the 1's.
3. Press 5 then CTRL+ENTER. This places a 5 in all of the cells that had a
1.
4. Repeat for the other numbers that need to be swapped.
5. Resort if needed after all the changes are made.

"jhk150" wrote:

I have data sets in only certain columns of my spread sheet that need to be
reverse coded, i.e. 1=5, 2=4, 3=3, 4=2, 5=1 . How do I get these new values
in Excel?