Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Function within a cell that has a number

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:47:01 -0700, Té wrote:

I have a number in a1 which is 500. Is there a way I can leave the 500 in
place, along with add a formula to that cell as well. I want to add a1+b1,
but I want to keep the 500 there. I know alt + enter goes down to the next
line, but when I insert the formula it doesnt work.

It's not clear to me why you would want to do this; perhaps an easier to
implement solution would become apparent if you were to explain that.

If you were to change the "500", you would also need to re-enter the formula.
This might cause difficulties in the future.

The cleanest method would be to use a separate cell to hold your formula.

In that cell might be a formula similar to:

="500 " & a1+b1

--ron