Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Function within a cell that has a number

I have a number in a1 which is 500. Is there a way I can leave the 500 in
place, along with add a formula to that cell as well. I want to add a1+b1,
but I want to keep the 500 there. I know alt + enter goes down to the next
line, but when I insert the formula it doesnt work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RAZ RAZ is offline

try this:
=500&A1+A2

If you want space between two then use this

=500&" "&A1+A2

You can add as many equations or text as u like, just add &

Let me know it it worked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RAZ RAZ is offline

hmm, it works fiine in mine, are you using excel 2007?

try adding brackets and quatation signs, for example
="500"&(A1+A2)

"Raz" wrote:

try this:
=500&A1+A2

If you want space between two then use this

=500&" "&A1+A2

You can add as many equations or text as u like, just add &

Let me know it it worked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RAZ RAZ is offline

if its giving you 5000, it means its working,
i am sure u dont have any number on A1 and A2, so adding them is 0,
which is why its giving you 500 with a zero in the side, shows up as 5000.

"Raz" wrote:

try this:
=500&A1+A2

If you want space between two then use this

=500&" "&A1+A2

You can add as many equations or text as u like, just add &

Let me know it it worked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have 500 already in place. What I want to do is keep the number 500, then
on top of that create a formula that adds a1 and b1 together. So I want to
look like
500
600

I have 500 in a1 and 100 in b1. Does that make sense?

"Raz" wrote:

try this:
=500&A1+A2

If you want space between two then use this

=500&" "&A1+A2

You can add as many equations or text as u like, just add &

Let me know it it worked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:47:01 -0700, Té wrote:

I have a number in a1 which is 500. Is there a way I can leave the 500 in
place, along with add a formula to that cell as well. I want to add a1+b1,
but I want to keep the 500 there. I know alt + enter goes down to the next
line, but when I insert the formula it doesnt work.

It's not clear to me why you would want to do this; perhaps an easier to
implement solution would become apparent if you were to explain that.

If you were to change the "500", you would also need to re-enter the formula.
This might cause difficulties in the future.

The cleanest method would be to use a separate cell to hold your formula.

In that cell might be a formula similar to:

="500 " & a1+b1

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are getting a circular reference because your formula in A1 is using its
own value to generate a result, which is returned to A1. This is a strange
request, but here is one way to accomplish it (without a circular reference):

The cell (A1) where you want to do this must be formatted to wrap text.

In a VBA module in your workbook, enter this user-defined function:

Function AddToCell(Value1 As Double, Value2 As Double) As String
AddToCell$ = Value1 & vbCrLf & (Value1 + Value2)
End Function

Then, call AddToCell in A1 ilke this:
=AddToCell(500,B1)
where B1 contains 100.

If you are new to user-defined functions (macros), this link to Jon
Peltier's site may be helpful:
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...e-elses-macro/

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Raz" wrote:

try this:
=500&A1+A2

If you want space between two then use this

=500&" "&A1+A2

You can add as many equations or text as u like, just add &

Let me know it it worked

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

="500" & CHAR(10) & A1+B1 entered in C1

Set C1 to wrap text.