Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Cynthia Haggerty[_2_] Cynthia Haggerty[_2_] is offline

Default Hyperlink link_location error

Just discovered another thing if the tabname has an apostrophe, get rid of
it! it gives the 'reference not valid' error. Argh! Then it works...

Cynthia

"Cynthia Haggerty" wrote:

Hooray! It works! total path name! with single quotes around the tab!

=HYPERLINK("[pathname\file name.ext]'tab name'!CR","friendly name")

Thanks all for the discussion! I was able to repeat the sucess. So I feel
confident that that's the correct answer.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Cynthia

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I put a workbook in C:\Temp
and this worked for me:

=HYPERLINK("[C:\Temp\Revco -80 freezer.xls]'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1")

Naturally you will adjust for your own folder name and include any
"friendly" name in the function call.

I had to:

1. include the full path/filename between the brackets
2. include the tab name between the single quotes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

"Cynthia Haggerty" wrote:

Very sure. I copied it from the directory, beacuse that was one of the first
things i thought of. I did try it with the # =HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation
Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ") and got reference
not valid. also tried without the cell number =HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation
Primers'","Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ") and got 'reference is
not valid'

Cynthia
"Pete_UK" wrote:

Are you sure you have spelt the filename exactly correct? Make sure
you have the right number of spaces (for example, should there be a
space after the hyphen? Are there any double-spaces in the filename?)

Pete

On Aug 27, 4:56 pm, Cynthia Haggerty
wrote:
Nope still get 'cannot open specified file'

I appreciate this! thanks!

Cynthia

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Okay, I omitted the 2 apostrophes around the reference - try this:

=HYPERLINK("'[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

or this is a bit shorter:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation
Primers working / ")

The # basically means "in this file".

Hope this helps.

Pete