Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Hyperlink link_location error

You are very welcome. This will be as valuable to me as to you.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

"Cynthia Haggerty" wrote:

Hooray! It works! total path name! with single quotes around the tab!

=HYPERLINK("[pathname\file name.ext]'tab name'!CR","friendly name")

Thanks all for the discussion! I was able to repeat the sucess. So I feel
confident that that's the correct answer.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Cynthia

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I put a workbook in C:\Temp
and this worked for me:

=HYPERLINK("[C:\Temp\Revco -80 freezer.xls]'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1")

Naturally you will adjust for your own folder name and include any
"friendly" name in the function call.

I had to:

1. include the full path/filename between the brackets
2. include the tab name between the single quotes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

"Cynthia Haggerty" wrote:

Very sure. I copied it from the directory, beacuse that was one of the first
things i thought of. I did try it with the # =HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation
Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ") and got reference
not valid. also tried without the cell number =HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation
Primers'","Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ") and got 'reference is
not valid'

Cynthia
"Pete_UK" wrote:

Are you sure you have spelt the filename exactly correct? Make sure
you have the right number of spaces (for example, should there be a
space after the hyphen? Are there any double-spaces in the filename?)

Pete

On Aug 27, 4:56 pm, Cynthia Haggerty
wrote:
Nope still get 'cannot open specified file'

I appreciate this! thanks!

Cynthia

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Okay, I omitted the 2 apostrophes around the reference - try this:

=HYPERLINK("'[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

or this is a bit shorter:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation
Primers working / ")

The # basically means "in this file".

Hope this helps.

Pete