Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jessica Donadio Jessica Donadio is offline

Default Lookup Function Not in Ascending Order

Wow, forget that, right after I typed that I saw below my thread what the $
sign means before the cell. All is good.

I would still be curious about how this could be achieved through
index/match and what would be the advantages to doing so, but otherwise,
thank you all!

"Jessica Donadio" wrote:

Well the only snag is that when I paste the values down the column it
progressively causes the top rows not to be included in the range of data.
However, I still want to retain the relative cell value of the first parameter

As an example I have countries listed in column H and then the corresponding
postal zones in column I (whose values are either 1,2,3, or Italy). Vlookup
works, but if I start a new record 500 rows down, the cell reference for the
top of the range will move likewise, so that it may not find the country
value if there is only one located towards the top of the list. Is there a
way to incorporate both absolute and relative cell referencing in the same
function?

Or, with index and match, how would I go about it to simply return the
respective postal zones for each country? Thanks again!