Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Lookup Function Not in Ascending Order

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 03:49:02 -0700, Jessica Donadio
wrote:

Is there any other way of going about getting the results that the lookup
function obtains without the list havng to be in ascending order? I have a
pretty large database of company's names and when I make a new record and
input the country I want the values for postal code, subsequent postal cost,
best time to call, hour difference, etc, to all be pre-populated based on
previuos records for that country. But my excel sheet will be subject to new
ordering a lot, so Lookup will not work. I've found some formulas for IF but
I have more than 7 conditions. Thank you to anyone who may be able to help
me.

It seems as if you could use an exact match.

Depending on how your data is set up, you could probably use VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP
with FALSE entered for the optional Range_lookup argument. This would require
an exact match.

If that does not work, post back with more information, as the use of INDEX and
MATCH (with the Exact parameter within the MATCH function) should be adaptable
to your data.
--ron