Harlan Grove

Jerry W. Lewis wrote...
Not sure what I was thinking when I used COUNT(FIND()) instead of
COUNTIF, but COUNTIF(), does not work if you pass an entire column as
the range.

Assuming the comma immediately after COUNTIF() was a typo, your
statement is incorrect if you're referring to the first argument.
COUNTIF's first argument must be a single area range, so the problem
with entire column ranges being converted to arrays is finessed. On the
other hand, you can't use an entire column range as COUNTIF's second
argument, so the standard idiom for counting distinct entries in a
range, e.g.,

=SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(A:A,A:A))

won't work.

For example, enter =ROW() in A1:A65536, and enter

=COUNTIF(A:A,"4")

and

=COUNTIF(A:A,"<100")

in other cells. I get 65532 and 99, respectively. Don't you?