Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Calculating time in minutes

If you intend to do calculation like if you have pay rates
that use minutes than you should convert it to decimal by
multiplying with 1440 (60*24), if not it is better to use
a custom format since it will save a little bit of
computing resources. [hh]:mm will display hours
24 and greater. x*24 formatted as general or number
will be the equivalent decimal hours

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Ah, thanks for the clarification. You're right, I didn't use the brackets.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Actually, it will give you the total minutes. I am sure you overlooked
that
I used [mm]
note the brackets. You probably used mm which will only go up to 59
minutes
However if you include the brackets it will show larger values

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo, I
had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't calculate
the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use custom format [mm]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a
project.
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes. IE. I
enter
the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I enter
the
formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours and
minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?