Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default VLOOKUP help?

Excel doesn't make this easy!

At this link look for a thread titled: VLOOKUP with INDIRECT

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
Ok, now I'm pushing my luck - I know so if I don't get any response I
won't be offended. But.

One last thing I need to do is get information from an Excel file
(always with the same name and range) but the file may reside in
different locations depending upon the students username. ie. file
could be called 'spreadsheet.xls and the range A1:A6' but each student
would have their own copy meaning there would be one in \\servername
\serverpath\11jsmith\ and another in \\servername\serverpath\11djones\
etc. The server pathnames would all be stored in a spreadsheet to
which I need the information returned.

If the file has a static location, doing a Vlookup is easy for this
kind of task. But a Vlookup where the file location depends upon a
cell in my spreadsheet - I can't see how that would work.

I am very grateful in advance for any help anyone can provide