Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default VLOOKUP help?

Try this:

A8 = Abby
B8 = Jones
C8 = 9N

Entered as an array** :

=INDEX(D1:D5,MATCH(1,(A1:A5=A8)*(B1:B5=B8)*(C1:C5= C8),0))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
Hi. Can someone help with this forumla please? I've trawled the
Internet but not yet found the answer so this is my last hope.

I have a spreadsheet with the following information:

A B C D More grades
1 Mathew Bloggs 9H A B
2 John Smith 9G C C
3 Abby Jones 9N E G
4 David Jones 9N F A
5 Elaine Biscuits 9F B C

(please excuse the crude layout) A - firstname, B - surname C -
form D - grade

I want to use VLOOKUP and enter the students firstname, surname and
form to return their grades. I've looked at using arrays and a tech
guy at work said I need VLOOKUP and IF statement to. But I can't
figure out how. This is what I have so far:
=VLOOKUP(A8,A1:E6,4,FALSE) which obviously returns whatever I type
into A8 from the range A1:E6 in column 4. So if I type Abby into cell
A8 I will get 'E'.

What I need to do is type in firstname, surname and form to return
their grade. I'm told I need to do this using IF statements or an
ARRAY but I can't see how. Can anyone spare me the time to help?